FreeBSD Culture

Murray Taylor mtaylor at bytecraft.com.au
Mon Apr 18 16:49:05 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 07:24, Stine Madsen wrote:
> FreeBSD Culture
> We are four undergraduate students (1st year) who have chosen Organizational
> Culture and FreeBSD as the subject for our major written project. The
> underlying assumption for our project is that the FreeBSD community can be
> viewed and described within the framework of the theory for Organizational
> behavior and culture - that is; as a 'virtual' organization. To investigate
> and clarify this, we would like to confer with participants of the FreeBSD
> community who are well-informed of the how's and why's of FreeBSD.
>
> The following non-exhausting list holds examples of questions we would like
> to clarify:
>
> - Does there exist myths, 'legends' and stories concerning FreeBSD, which
> are common knowledge in the community.
> - How does one get to be a member of '-core'? Or more accurately, how does a
> member advance in the FreeBSD community?
> - Is the language described in the 'jargon file' used and understood by all
> members of the community?
> - What motivates people to join the FreeBSD community and to contribute to
> the common course?

While not a contributor to FreeBSD per se,
I could add that joining this community
on my part was due to me wanting to 'look under the hood'
(I have contributed some minor patches to a couple of ports,
some made it in as is, some prompted a better solution by
the maintainer)
And as 'payback' I have now been able to pass on some of my learning
and experience to the next batch of newbies.

Knowing that I can peek, and learn _how_ it all works is a
great motivating force. And being a believer in using the right tool
for a job (like I loath the combination 'multitools' you can buy too)
I am willing to spend the time to choose the tool.
Or if the tool is not available I like to be able to use the
existing resources to build the requred tool.

As part of this I also go with the concept of 'elegant software'

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/readings/software_elegance.html

For me FreeBSD fits the bill.
And I too dont really care about what colour the bikeshed is!
And POLA too! no surprises!

Google "bikeshed freebsd"
Google "POLA freebsd"

--
Murray Taylor
Special Projects Engineer
E: mtaylor at bytecraft.com.au
or visit us on the web
http://www.bytecraftsystems.com
http://www.bytecraftentertainment.com

The information transmitted in this e-mail is for the exclusive
use of the intended addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of it, or the taking of any action
in reliance upon this information by persons and/or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this in error, please inform the sender and/or
addressee immediately and delete the material.

E-mails may not be secure, may contain computer viruses and
may be corrupted in transmission. Please carefully check this
e-mail (and any attachment) accordingly. No warranties are
given and no liability is accepted for any loss or damage
caused by such matters.