Sound not working

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Mon Apr 18 08:02:19 PDT 2005

On Sunday 17 April 2005 20:08, Emil Khatib wrote:
> Hi everybody.
> I'm using a SoundBlaster PCI 128 and I get a problem with sound when
> starting KDE. After builing and loading the sound moule
> (snd_es137x.ko) everything seems to work allright. KDE's startup
> melody sounds for a few seconds, but it suddenly stops without any
> error message. When I try to open a music file, it seems to work, but
> i get no sound!.

I had this, and I've seen it reported several times. After the KDE jingle
plays, the volume controls get turned down to zero. Turning up the volume in
applications has no effect because the controls are multiplicative.

Try running kmix, to the restore the volume levels. If the problem persists
you can put it in autostart, and set it's option to restore volume controls
on startup.