tcpwrappers problem

Micheal Patterson micheal at tsgincorporated.com
Mon Apr 18 06:18:57 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Didier Wiroth" <didier.wiroth at mcesr.etat.lu>
To: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Cc: <freebsd-stable at freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 6:26 AM
Subject: tcpwrappers problem

> Hi,
> (using freebsd5.4-stable)
>
> I'm trying to display a ftpd banner with hosts.allow, but it doesn't
> work.
>
> I'm using ftpd (/usr/libexec/ftpd) started through inetd.
> Ined is started with standard flags:
> /usr/sbin/inetd -wW -C 60
>
> In hosts.allow I have:
> ALL : ALL : allow
> ALL : ALL : banners /usr/local/etc/banners/
> ALL : PARANOID : RFC931 20 : deny
>
> In /usr.../banners/ I've a banner called: ftpd and inetd and ftp etc..
> copied the banner to different names to be sure ... ;-)
>
> The directory is world r-x and the banners are world readable.
>
> When changing for example: ALL:ALL:allow to ALL:ALL:deny, ftpd
> connections are blocked, so I assume the wrappers work.
>
> Why isn't my banner displayed?
> thanks
> didier

At first glance, I would say because you have an "ALL : ALL : allow"
before you have your "ALL : ALL : banners /usr/local/etc/banners/

With that, it's never making it to the banners entry.

--

Micheal Patterson
Senior Communications Systems Engineer

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments,
copies of the original message.