messages from dhclient

Joost van Dijk joost at amiculus.com
Sun Apr 17 08:04:04 PDT 2005

> Don't turn off the firewall.
> etc...

> Depends on what your network configuration is. If you are sitting behind
> an ethernet ADSL router, you're probably OK, since those usually come
> with a firewell and NAT built-in. If you don't have one of those, you
> would be wise to firewall all the systems that are in direct contact
> with the Internet. IMHO making an unfirewalled box directly accessibly
> from the internet is an accident waiting to happen.
>
> If you cannot set up a firewall, at least disable all unneeded
> services. E.g. disable sendmail if you don't need it. That will minimize
> the chances of your boxen being h4x0r3d. :-)

Roland and Bob

I have glass fiber (100 MB/sec) that comes through one router which is not a
NAT and has no firewall built in. I have been told that this is one hop from
the backbone. I have attached the glass fiber to a modem, which gives me
eight 10 MB/sec ethernet outlets. The modem is dumb and contains no firewall.
That puts my computer two unprotected hops from the backbone (if I understand
this correctly).

One could say that I am exposed, without risking great exaggeration. But that
doesn't matter, because there is really nothing on the machine. I am only
using it to learn on.

What does IMHO mean?

What does h4x0r3d mean?

Joost