FreeBSD Culture

Stine Madsen stine_wm at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 17 04:51:54 PDT 2005

FreeBSD Culture

We are four undergraduate students (1st year) who have chosen Organizational
Culture and FreeBSD as the subject for our major written project. The
underlying assumption for our project is that the FreeBSD community can be
viewed and described within the framework of the theory for Organizational
behavior and culture - that is; as a 'virtual' organization. To investigate
and clarify this, we would like to confer with participants of the FreeBSD
community who are well-informed of the how's and why's of FreeBSD.

The following non-exhausting list holds examples of questions we would like
to clarify:

-         Does there exist myths, 'legends' and stories concerning FreeBSD,
which are common knowledge in the community.

-         How does one get to be a member of '-core'? Or more accurately,
how does a member advance in the FreeBSD community?

-         Is the language described in the 'jargon file' used and understood
by all members of the community?

-         What motivates people to join the FreeBSD community and to
contribute to the common course?

-         Is it possible to improve the structure of the FreeBSD community?

We are not sure where to post questions like these - and if freebsd.org as a
suitable forum for those kind of questions. Suggestions and thoughts about
this will be much appreciated.

All communication will be by mail, and all participants will be anonymous
should the prefer so.