Suggestions for post rm -rf /etc/*

Ruben de Groot mail25 at bzerk.org
Sun Apr 17 04:24:12 PDT 2005

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 02:52:41AM -0500, Glen Smith typed:
> Anyone have a suggestion for fixing  a machine three states away after
> you rm -rf * dir/* inside of /etc or am I just screwed. I even had zsh
> ask me if that's what I really want to do. ::sob::

Well, asuming you don't have any backups (shame on you!) and you have the
sources installed, you could do

cd /usr/src/etc
make distribution

this will give you back all default files in /etc. Copies of your
original master.passwd, aliases and group files can be found in
/var/backups

Ruben