FreeBSD system update killing PostFix links?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sun Apr 17 02:46:26 PDT 2005

On 2005-04-16 21:10, Tim Hogan <tim at hoganzoo.com> wrote:
> I have recently done a system update to address some security issues and
> discovered that during the update the soft links in my /usr/sbin directory
> were re-written back to the system defaults.  I believe that I have changed
> the mailq, sendmail, and newaliases soft links back to what they should be,
> but is there a way to verify the postfix installation?  Is there a way to
> keep FreeBSD from doing this during a build world?

What you are trying to accomplish with those soft links can be done in a very
easier manner if you use mailer.conf(5).  Let those soft links be as they
should *really* be (the way installworld sets them up), and edit your
/etc/mail/mailer.conf file to invoke Postfix.

Alternatively, if you are truly convinced that mailer.conf(5) is not good for
you, you may find a look at the description of NO_SENDMAIL and NO_MAILWRAPPER
in make.conf(5) very interesting :-)