Limiting process memory consumption with rsetlimit and limit. . .

David Grochowski dgrochow at elvis.rowan.edu
Sun Apr 17 00:26:13 PDT 2005

Hey all,

I'm currently working on a project where I need to limit the amount of
physical memory a process uses.  I've tried the rsetlimit function and the
limit shell command to do so, but I have had no luck (though I was able to
limit the virtual memory and cause it to segfault).  Neither seems to have
any effect on the physical memory available to the process.  If anyone
could enlighten me on how to limit the physical memory available to a
process, it would be greatly appreciated.

My goal is to make the program have page faults, but I haven't had much
luck yet.

Thanks,
Dave Grochowski