Acrobat Reader 7.0

albi at scii.nl albi at scii.nl
Sat Apr 16 13:41:56 PDT 2005

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 13:28:53 -0700 (PDT)
modelt20 at canada.com wrote:

> When the package is downloaded, do I just use the
> command
>               pkg_add -r acroread
> (that is, after I expand the file if necessary)?

no, pkg_add -r acroread would install from a remote freebsd-site onto
your machine

if you would have a package meant for freebsd-install you would do :
pkg_add foo.tbz

for more info on installing packages :
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/packages-using.html

in this case you have 2 packages for linux, you can after e.g.
tar xzvf acroread_linux_blabla.tar.gz
try to load them through linux-emulation

for more info on linux-emu on freebsd :
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/linuxemu-lbc-install.html

> Or do I need to do a
>               make install clean
> in the directory created by the expansion?
>
> I have been seeing PDF files created in versions of
> Acrobat later than 5, and they won't open in AcroRead5.

you could also try xpdf, the build-in pdf-viewer in konqueror
or evince :

su -
cd /usr/ports/graphics/evince
make install clean
exit
evince

btw, the nice handbook is also reachable in /usr/share/doc/en/books/

GL!