Traffic Shapping (IPFW + DUMMYNET) Question

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Fri Apr 15 16:15:30 PDT 2005

On Thursday 14 April 2005 14:53, Timothy Radigan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to the entire idea of traffic shaping and I came up with some rules
> for my BSD firewall/router/VoIP gateway

> Does this seem like it will perform as I am thinking it will?

I've not tried this kind of thing myself, but I wouldn't be very optimistic
about what you are trying to do. AFAIK dummynet works through IP packet
queueing. That means that it can do a good job of shaping outgoing traffic,
but the only control it has on incoming traffic is through dropping packets
that have already been received, which isn't very efficient.

To achieve what you want would really need some something that can hook into
the tcp/ip stack and affect tcp window sizes. I dont know of anything that
would do that.