Default root password for FreeBSD 4.2-RC2

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Apr 14 21:20:00 PDT 2005

Abu Khaled wrote:

>On 4/15/05, MZaini <mzaini at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Section 10.12 in System Administration only addresses the issue when
>>the person is on site which is not in my case. Since the default
>>installation would come with its own /etc/passwd, /etc/group,
>>/etc/master.passwd, /etc/pwd.db, /etc/spwd.db then I should have been
>>able to login using the root account that came with the default. True
>>or not?

And with the default /etc/ssh/sshd_config, if you are _not_ at
the console, root logins are _not_ allowed.  Period*.

However, if you had another account from which to
log in to the system, it should not have been deleted,
AFAIK, unless you made a mistake while using mergemaster.

Kevin Kinsey

*Unless you have specifically enabled them, which is
absolutely _not_ considered a Good Thing(tm).