inetd vs standalone daemon

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Apr 14 21:13:41 PDT 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gert Cuykens" <gert.cuykens at gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2005 12:01 PM
Subject: Re: inetd vs standalone daemon

Thomas Foster wrote:

> Im still confused as to your questions.. again.. most of these
> are answered by a simple glance at the FreeBSD handbook:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-inetd.html
>

> If you want to remove the inetd binary from your system .. go for it...
> There are those who still use it as a wrapper for other services...
> such at identd (auth) or even finger
>
> As far as removing it from sources.. you could try to "pull a freebsd
> source developers leg" but I assume you wont get very far..
>
> The Fed-Ex metaphor is interesting but not really relevent to all
> services wrapped in inetd..

Sorry to resurrect this dead thread ... and I've trimmed all but the list
and the OP from the reply.

Eliminate inetd?  Why in the world?  I therefore offer a contrasting
metaphor:

I donate money to a homeless shelter ... would it be better to place it
in 450 outstretched hands, or give it directly to the caretaker who
runs the place?  He's the one who knows what should go where....

Granted there's something to be said for helping the needy directly,
but the shelter administrator's going to be more certain to DTRT
with the resources I give him.  And it's certainly more economical
with my time.

You definitely have a sense of humor, Gert; but one must be
careful lest he become, after many posts, considered a troll*.

Kevin Kinsey

*And the rest of us (e.g. me, shouldst be quite beware of
feeding them....)