5.8TB RAID5 SATA Array Questions

Benson Wong tummytech at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 16:28:36 PDT 2005

> So theoretically it should go over 1000TB…I've conducted several bastardized
> installations due to sysinstall not being able to do anything over the 2TB
> limit by creating the partition ahead of time…I am going to be attacking
> this tonight and my efforts will be primarily focused on creating one large
> 5.8TB slice….wish me luck!!
>

> PS: Muhaa haa haa!
You're probably going to run into "boo hoo hoo hoo". Most likely you
won't be able to get over the 2TB limit. Also don't use sysinstall, I
was never able to get it to work well. Probably because my arrays were
mounted over fiber channel and fdisk craps out.

This is what I did:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 bs=1k count=1
disklabel -rw da0 audo
newfs /dev/da0

That creates one large slice, UFS2, for FreeBSD. Let know if you get
it over 2TB, I was never able to have any luck.

Another reason you might want to avoid a super large file system is
that UFS2 is not journaling. If the server crashes it will take fschk
a LONG time to check all those inodes!

Ben.