India had no FreeBSD mirror sites ?!?

W. D. WD at US-Webmasters.com
Thu Apr 14 07:14:05 PDT 2005

At 08:20 4/14/2005, Subhro, wrote:
>Anthony Atkielski wrote:
>
>>All the more reason to have a mirror in India.  The shorter the distance
>>to cover, the faster the transfer is likely to be,
>>

>This is definitely technically true but not practially as far as India
>is concern. The average bandwidth available to individual is 56Kbps
>(actual, not the rated). A few lucky souls DO have access to high speed
>links in the range of ~1Mbps but that is truly not the mass. So as far
>as transfer rate is concerned, the bottleneck is definitely not the
>physical location of the source.
>
>> and the lower the
>>cost.
>>

>This also is not applicable is here. Having spent quite some time in US,
>I am well aware of the fact that for many ISPs, data tranferred within
>the local uplink is free. However this is not the case here. Firstly as
>most users access internet on dialup, they do not have any data
>restrictions.

Hmmm.  Does 'they do not have any data restrictions' mean that
the aren't charged by the megabyte?  If so, there is a Windows
program called FreeDownloadManager that can *reliably* download
huge files.  In the case of ISOs, it could take many days
on dialup, but you can start or stop, regulate download speed,
etc.:
http://www.FreeDownloadManager.org/features.htm

Start Here to Find It Fast!™ -> http://www.US-Webmasters.com/best-start-page/
$8.77 Domain Names -> http://domains.us-webmasters.com/