India had no FreeBSD mirror sites ?!?

Subhro subhro.kar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 02:06:57 PDT 2005

Rob wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I recommended FreeBSD to a friend of mine in India
>and discovered to my great astonishment that there's
>no mirror site in India, at least none is listed
>on the official FreeBSD mirror site:

Yeh you are right.

>http://www.freebsd.org/.../handbook/mirrors-ftp.html
>
>I would have expected several mirror sites there,
>with India becoming one the software development
>centers in the world.....

Well the main issue is, bandwidth is very very costly in India. The
amount of bandwidth that would cost 40 USD in US would cost around 350
USD in India.

>Is nobody or no institute in India interested in
>setting up a FreeBSD mirror site? Or is (Free)BSD
>an unknown/unused OS in India.

FreeBSD is definitely not used as much as Linux as far as Indian
scenario is concerned. And I am really sorry to say, maximum boxes are
ruled by windows, that too pirated editions :-(

>For comparison: China has 2 mirrors, Taiwan has 16,
>Korea 2, Japan 9, Indonesia 1 and HongKong 1.
>India has none!

I would speak to my ISP and try to convince them to set up a mirror
here. Lets see what works out.

Regards
S.