AMD64 (former i386 convert)+ FreeBSD various issues in 5.3, 5.4 (pre+post install)

jason henson jason at ec.rr.com
Wed Apr 13 22:58:12 PDT 2005

Edgar Martinez wrote:

>I think I have nailed it...somewhat...
>
>So I set it up so I could ssh to it from my office and try to mess with
>it...ran solid as a rock...I think got home tonight and checked my
>logs...nothing bad...so I THEN rebooted went into BIOS and enabled the
>cache...BAM...errors out every time...threw in
>ubuntu...craptastic...DISABLED the CACHE...everything smooth...sooo the
>question now is...MB or CPU??
>
>The CPU is listed as DTR...OMFG WTF is DTR?? (acro-cursing intended..)
>
>Model: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ DTR
>Core: ClawHammer
>Operating Frequency: 1.8 GHz
>FSB: Integrated into Chip
>Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/1MB
>Voltage: 1.5V
>Process: 0.13Micron
>Socket: Socket 754
>Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
>Packaging: OEM(Processor Only)

DTR stands for desktop replacement notebook.  You have a cpu for a
powerful notebook, but I think it would still be a low powered desktop
cpu.  Maybe you could try a bios update, but I would you need to rma
that cpu.  Sounds like it has some bad cache on it?

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=642
http://www.voodoopc.com/boards/messages.aspx?topic=32296&forum=2
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/07/29/amd_cuts_opteron_prices_by/
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_10220_9486,00.html