Supported six-channel sound cards

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Wed Apr 13 13:19:17 PDT 2005

José de Paula Rodrigues wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> As a desktop FreeBSD user, I'd like to know if there is a list of
> supported 5.1 sound cards somewhere. The Holy Handbook mentions some
> supported cards, yes, but it doesn't say whether they are supported in
> 5.1 mode or only plain stereo.
>
> My current card, an onboard nForce (A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard), is
> capable of 5.1,
> but the drivers currently don't offer this possibility (maybe in the
> near future?), and all I have is stereo.

I am trying to get my SoundBlaster Audify working with FreeBSD.  Sound I
have, at a minimum, but I want 6 channel digital sound like I had
working with this card while I was experimenting with Linux.  My
speakers have both optical and digital inputs, and I have the digital
ones wired to the output of the Audigy.  I know I have that right, I had
this same connection working before under Linux.

I guess one of the things I need to test is a mp3 that has 6 channel
source.  Anyone have one of those?  I have a mp3 I have been using for
testing, but it's stereo only, and that won't do for 6 channel testing.

I need to learn how to use a52dec.

BTW, I am a pro when it comes to using my ears, I spent years as a
communications technician.  I can tell you beyond all doubt that 6
channel sound is quite, quite audibly a huge improvement over stereo,
and worth our time to get working.