Supported six-channel sound cards

José de Paula Rodrigues espinafre at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 13:07:56 PDT 2005

Greetings all,

As a desktop FreeBSD user, I'd like to know if there is a list of
supported 5.1 sound cards somewhere. The Holy Handbook mentions some
supported cards, yes, but it doesn't say whether they are supported in
5.1 mode or only plain stereo.

My current card, an onboard nForce (A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard), is
capable of 5.1,
but the drivers currently don't offer this possibility (maybe in the
near future?), and all I have is stereo.

My FreeBSD is 5.3 with kernel and ports tree updated half an hour ago.