AMD64 (former i386 convert)+ FreeBSD various issues in 5.3, 5.4 (pre+post install)

Edgar Martinez emartinez at crockettint.com
Wed Apr 13 12:31:11 PDT 2005

Yep first thing I assumed...ACPI was disabled...both in BIOS and via
MENU...no joy...UDMA disabled...in fact..

PATA DISABLED (after install via CD)
USB DISABLED
FDD DIABLED
APM DIABLED
SMART DISABLED
LAN DISABLED
SOUND DISABLED
FIREWIRE DISABLED

=)

If you cant tell, I have literally installed over a hundred FBSD boxes and
have encountered TONS of caveats...however this one has def got me
stumped..after the install, the system seems to be holding stable with the
BIOS INTERNAL/EXTERNAL cache disabled...its SLLLOOOWWW but stable...