Lowest common denominator for buildworld/kernel

markzero mark at darklogik.org
Tue Apr 12 16:18:59 PDT 2005

> >Hello,
> >I would like to set up a machine with which to build world and kernels
> >for an assortment of slightly different machines. The machines are
> >an assortment of Pentium IIs', IIIs' and AMD K6s'. What CPU type should
> >I build for in order to safely accomodate the slight differences? i386?
> >
> >Also, as a side note, is there any better way to distribute the compiled
> >binaries and kernel than NFS mounts? I *really* don't get along with NFS...
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Mark
> >

> I don't know what sort of accomodation you mean.  The binaries can all
> be perfectly portable, or, at your option, you can put in various extra
> options to optimize for your processor.  To tell you the trush, if you
> don't play with the flags, then I see no problem with "slight differences".

Ok, thanks for the affirmation. I was pretty sure that this would be the
case but as I'm not familiar with the build process under the hood, I
wasn't sure if the makefiles tweaked themselves implicitly depending on
the build platform. I'm glad this isn't the case, that would be quite a
pickle.

> ssh works great for a lot of applications that need to send products to
> foreign lands ... it's the "scp" command, in particular, I mean.

ssh was the first thing that sprang to mind but it also raised some
further questions, like what exactly to copy. /usr/obj would obviously
have to go over but what about all the makefiles required for a 'make
installworld' etc? I wondered if I would end up just copying over
/usr/src entirely, which seems very innefficient.

Hmm, it's certainly something to think about.

Thanks,
Mark

--
PGP: http://www.darklogik.org/pub/pgp/pgp.txt
B776 43DC 8A5D EAF9 2126 9A67 A7DA 390F DEFF 9DD1