HP dvd 300e

Gerard.Moloney at thomson.com Gerard.Moloney at thomson.com
Tue Apr 12 03:46:30 PDT 2005

Hi:

I'm trying to connect a HP dvd 300e to my
Toshiba Satellite 2140CDS running FreeBSD 4.9.

The laptop I believe has a USB1.0 port whilst
the drive itself is USB2.

When booting up with the device connected I get
the following:

umass 0:HEWLETT PACKARD S1, rev 2.00 /0.01 addr2
umass 0:Get Max Lun not supported(STALLED)
umass 0: BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT.
umass 0: BBB bulk in clear stall failed

and the system either hangs or after some time continues
to boot. However, then the built in cdrom drive does play,
stop and eject but there's no sound.

Disconnecting the HP and rebooting solves the problem.

I'm following the instructions in 16.5 of the FreeBSD handbook
and have not done any kernel re-compilation so am I guess
using the GENERIC kernel.

Can anyone help with this error? Might this dvd drive not
be supported? It does appear to be recognised but no mention in
umass(4).
Any help would be greatly appreciated as if I need to change
the dvd drive as it's not supported, I need to do it pretty
quickly.

Thanks Ged Moloney