Very slow printing with stock FreeBSD5.3 + CUPS + Gimp-Print + HPDeskJet612C

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Tue Apr 12 03:16:45 PDT 2005

Anthony M. Agelastos wrote:

> It appears that "0x28" fixed the problem. Thank you to all who have
> contributed to this thread.
>
> Out of curiosity, now that the solution is known, what was the problem
> and what is the fix doing to solve it?

The "problem" is that your printer port was being driven by interrupts
and this was somehow not working -- the interrupts storm message you
reported.  I can't tell you the why, except that it's happened to me on
several PCs.  I regularly turn off interrupts on the ppc in the BIOS as
well, just be very sure.

Why did your fix work?  Because you have instructed the port to not use
interrupts.  Re-read the ppc man page until it makes sense.  If you
don't know what an interrupt is, then try finding a book on PC hardware
or search google.  I'm sure there's a wiki or something out there
somewhere -- there usually is :)

--Alex