Iain Dooley mail at iaindooley.com
Mon Apr 11 21:37:21 PDT 2005

Hexren wrote:
>>hi there, not really sure if this is appropriate for this list, or if i should be sending it to the samba lists. i'll try here first.
>

>>i have a samba server which serves a few windows machines, and i also use it via sharity-light from my freebsd machine running 4.10 RELEASE. i have a script that loads my shares, and i put it in my
>>rc.d folder (i've taken out the user and password info):
>

>>#!/bin/sh
>>/usr/local/sbin/shlight //cessna/http /usr/home/iain/development/http/ -U * -u * -g wheel -f 775 -d 775 -P *
>>/usr/local/sbin/shlight //cessna/http_inertia /usr/home/iain/development/http_inertia/ -U * -u * -g wheel -f 775 -d 775 -P *
>>/usr/local/sbin/shlight //cessna/music /usr/home/iain/music -U * -u * -g wheel -f 775 -d 775 -P *
>>/usr/local/sbin/shlight //cessna/dools /usr/home/iain/dools_network -U * -u * -g wheel -f 775 -d 775 -P *
>

>>it runs fine when i start up freebsd, but when i login, i don't have access to the shares. so i put the call to the script inside my .tcshrc file, but this means that, even if i login remotely, and
>>every time i start a new konsole session or scp something, this script runs.
>

>>does anyone have any clues as to why it wouldn't have access to the shares after running this script from inside rc.d? i really only want it to run when the machine starts up, not every time i
>>login.
>

>>cheers
>

>>iain

> I dont really know that programm, but guesing I would say the script
> runs at some time where some condition it needs is not fullfilled like
> maybe before networking is up. Maybe you should have the read up of
> the rc.d starting proccess that I need ;)
>
> Or you just leave it in you .tcshrc file and work with a lock file.
> Meaning when you run that script you do something like "
> if ![ -x ~/.smblock ]; then
>    touch ~/.smblock
>    (insert rest of your script)"

okay, thanks for that idea. just for the purpose of closing the issue online, i ended up with a file called 'load_shares.sh':

if ! [ -f /full/path/to/home/.smblock ]; then
	touch /full/path/to/home/.smblock
	shlight.sh #this is my script that uses sharity light to mount samba shares
fi

and put a call to load_shares.sh in .tcshrc (i like to avoid actually scripting for any shell other than sh). i then created a script called 'turnoff.sh':

if [ -f /full/path/to/home/.smblock ]; then
	rm -rf /full/path/to/home/.smblock
fi
sudo shutdown -h now

so long as i use turnoff.sh to shutdown my machine every time, my samba shares will be loaded the first time i login, but not reloaded unless i have actually shutdown the machine.

thanks for your help

iain