Compaq Proliant 8500 issue with Integrated SMARTArrayRAIDController (ida)

Grant orblists at thingysrealm.myftp.org
Mon Apr 11 15:11:24 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 14:12 -0700, Andrew Heyn wrote:

> ida0 at pci0:14:0: class=0x010400 card=0x40400e11 chip=0x00101000 rev=0x01
> hdr=0x00
>     vendor   = 'LSI Logic (Was: Symbios Logic, NCR)'
>     device   = 'LSI53C1510 I2O-Ready PCI RAID Ultra2 SCSI Controller
> (Intelligent mode)'
>     class    = mass storage
>     subclass = RAID
>
> I believe that output from pciconf -v -l is enough to show that it's not
> EISA...  Does anything
> else about that model ring any bells for you?
>
> The only reference to something related to my problem is people reporting
> ida0: soft error or
> ida0: soft read/write error, which are related to having a failed drive...
> I noticed myself that
> if the raid container wasn't 100%, those errors would come out by the
> thousands...  But nobody reports
> temporarily halts, or having to disable the integrated smart array's read
> cache to boot up.

Hey,

I've only just looked at this, but i have a Proliant 2500R, its old but
its working :)

Now i find when i rip out a drive from my RAID5 (5 actual disks) array i
get the soft error in the console lots of them... when i put the drive
back it builds the drive back up and continues to carry on without the
drive and with the drive, no halts or any temp halts nothing.. it just
carrys on.

The card i have mine on was some funky full length PCI thing, its
running FreeBSD 5.3 and is running perfect and has been for ages...

<my output from pciconf>

ida0 at pci2:0:0:  class=0x018000 card=0x40300e11 chip=0xae100e11 rev=0x03
hdr=0x00    vendor   = 'Compaq Computer Corp (Now owned by
Hewlett-Packard)'
    device   = 'Smart-2 Array Controller'
    class    = mass storage

</end output>

I have before run linux on this machine and have never seen any of the
soft errors.. so i dont know if this is just a FreeBSD thing, but i can
tell you my drives are working perfectly well :) and it rebuilds fine...
all i get is some of them errors logged in the console.

So hope this helps you find out what might be causing theses errors.

See ya
Grant.

PS = I do still have the onboard scsi enabled and am using it for a CDRW
drive.