Automounting smbfs?

Micheal Patterson micheal at tsgincorporated.com
Mon Apr 11 07:35:59 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kirk Strauser" <kirk at strauser.com>
To: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 3:40 PM
Subject: Re: Automounting smbfs?

On Friday 08 April 2005 14:12, you wrote:

> Kirk,  here's what I did to auto mount my pesky windows shared backup
> folder prior to having a separate nfs mount to put them.
>
> Configure your share as noauto in /etc/fstab (example)

[...]

Out of curiosity, why would you do that instead of just letting FreeBSD
mount it automatically (which is what I do now)?

The goal I'm trying to accomplish is pushing the same map to multiple
machines (eg via LDAP).  I never bothered to do that with my NFS mounts,
but I'm using the addition of the SMB shares as an excuse to rework the
system before it grows much more.
--
Kirk Strauser

In my experience, automounting it via fstab doesn't always work correctly.
Some folks have great success with it where others don't. For example, I can
remove the noauto and with the very same config files and 5 out of 10 times
the mount won't take on system startup. When I remove the noauto and cron it
for @reboot, it works just fine. I've no idea why but it works for me.

--

Micheal Patterson
Senior Communications Systems Engineer

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments,
copies of the original message.