restricting "fat jails"

Emanuel Strobl emanuel.strobl at gmx.net
Mon Apr 11 06:11:54 PDT 2005

Am Freitag, 8. April 2005 15:18 schrieb albi at scii.nl:
> i was wondering exactly which files in /dev/ can be removed in a jail ?

If we're talking about FreeBSD 5.x none, sinc it's devfs. You can control
which devices are in a jail by creating jail_NAME_devfs_ruleset.

> and i thought of a dirty approach of restricting building a jail by
> removed the parts in /usr/obj/ that you don't want, but i bet that make
> installworld is gonna complain about, is there a way around ?

There's make.conf, especially lines like:
#NO_ACPI=       true    # do not build acpiconf(8) and related programs
#NO_BOOT=       true    # do not build boot blocks and loader
NO_CVS= true    # do not build CVS
#NO_CXX=        true    # do not build C++ and friends
NO_BLUETOOTH=   true    # do not build Bluetooth related stuff
#NO_DYNAMICROOT=true    # do not link /bin and /sbin dynamically
NO_FORTRAN=     true    # do not build g77 and related libraries
#NO_GDB=        true    # do not build GDB
NO_I4B= true    # do not build isdn4bsd package
NO_IPFILTER=    true    # do not build IP Filter package
NO_PF=          true    # do not build PF firewall package
NO_AUTHPF=      true    # do not build and install authpf (setuid/gid)

-Harry