what application is needed to open a video streaming site

exp at netbox.yi.org exp at netbox.yi.org
Sun Apr 10 09:08:03 PDT 2005

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 05:44:01AM -0700, Edwin D. Vinas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I like viewing the streaming videos in this site [
> http://nextsteps.org/video/] using WinXP/Windows Media Player. But, now I
> have to shift to FreeBSD-5.3 and I would still want to view these
> educational streaming videos. I know mplayer, xmms, kaboodle, etc. which are
> the multimedia players in FreeBSD/KDE environment. Can anyone point me to a
> tutorial on how to open streaming videos using FreeBSD-5.3 and KDE-3.xdesktop?
>
> I saw that the file extension is .wvx which is a Windows Media Audio/Video
> shortcut. Is there an application in FreeBSD that can open such audio/video
> format?
mplayer can play Windows Media Player files. There's also a browser plugin for
it in the ports called mplayerplug-in.

> Also, if I need to view real player format of streaming video, what program
> do I need to install in FreeBSD?
Real doesn't offer binaries for FreeBSD. You'll have to install linux emulation
and use the linux version of realplayer.

The multimedia section of the handbook will give more details:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/multimedia.html