5.4 & vinum

Jukka A. Ukkonen jau at iki.fi
Sun Apr 10 07:44:22 PDT 2005

	Greetings,

	Has anyone been successful creating new vinum volume
	configurations or dropping old configurations on FreeBSD-5.4
	pre-releases?

	AFAIK the old vinum does not work properly. At least it
	keeps complaining me about problems. Additionally gvinum
	which has been reported as a supported replacement for the
	old vinum does not work either. The latter seems to even
	be missing support for many of the commands mentioned in
	"man vinum". E.g. dumpconfig, info, and resetconfig do not
	work. To make the pain really hurt there is no man page for
	gvinum.

	Obvious enough, replacing old systems which have been running
	4.x with the old perfectly functional vinum, has become very
	hard. (OTOH things like ath, ehci, etc. are only available in
	5.x.)
	The upgrade should be created on fresh hard drives and the
	drives replaced when the new installation is ready. So, it is
	vitally important to be able to create and drop configurations
	for vinum before the upgrade can proceed.

	If anyone has an operational 5.4 + vinum installation which
	was generated fresh on 5.3 or 5.4, any experiences, sample
	configurations, and notes about the how the installation was
	really done would be more than welcome.

	Cheers,
		// jau
  /    Jukka A. Ukkonen,                            Mawit Ltd, Finland
 /__   M.Sc. (sw-eng & cs)                    (Phone) +358-500-606-671
   /   Internet: Jukka.Ukkonen(a)Mawit.Com      (Home) +358-9-6215-280
  /    Internet: ukkonen(a)nic.funet.fi
 v     Internet: jau(a)iki.fi
+ + + + My opinions are mine and mine alone, not my employers. + + + +