BIND 9 on a dynamic ip address

Andrew P. infofarmer at mail.ru
Sun Apr 10 07:00:42 PDT 2005

Ryan J. Cavicchioni wrote:
> Hello, I am hoping to set up a DNS server for my home network just for
> the sake of learning BIND. Unfortunately, I have a PPPoE connects
> (wireless broadband) with a dynamic ip address. At the moment, I use
> dyndns just so I have a hostname and I would like to keep using
> dyndns. All I am looking to do is to use bind for hosts in my network
> and have a local dns cache. I do not plan on pointing any domains to
> my nameservers. Would this be possible? Or will there be problems that
> I am not foreseeing? I am really new at this, that is why I would like
> to leard bind.

If you have a stable LAN ip address, it's not a
problem. Configure BIND to listen on it and the
dynamic address you get to use internet won't
bother anyone (even BIND itself).

On the other hand, configuring a DNS server
listening on a dynamic IP address is a really
bad idea.

BIND 9 Administrator Reference Manual is a
good place to start (I started there a few
weeks ago).

http://www.bind9.net/manual/bind/9.3.1/Bv9ARM.html

Best wishes,
Andrew P.