5.3 random reboot problems

Trevor Sullivan pcgeek86 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 15:08:59 PDT 2005

Hi I'm having the same problem as the person in the following post:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-January/072548.html

My problem is with a Compaq Proliant DL380, and a fresh (standard)
installation of FreeBSD 5.3. I've had several quirks on it that I
haven't really understood, but after doing some research it seems like
the older Proliant servers had some hardware compatibility issues with
the FreeBSD 5 branch. My server is randomly rebooting when I try to do
almost anything on it (I was trying to create a custom kernel
post-install) and even just modifying a configuration file caused it to
reboot. It's getting really irritating, and it had no problems with
several different linux installations. I don't want to go back to
FreeBSD 4, but if I must....thanks for any help, any ideas?

-Trevor