Firefox won't start

Daniela dgw at liwest.at
Sat Apr 9 07:54:16 PDT 2005

On Saturday 09 April 2005 11:15, Fridtjof Busse wrote:
> * "N.J. Thomas" <njt at ayvali.org>:
> > > I just installed FreeBSD 5.4RC, everything works so fine. Just
> > > firefox won't work (running xfce), neither the package nor the
> > > port. I can only start it as root, under a normal user nothing
> > > happens at all. /usr/X11R6/bin/firefox quits after a second and no
> > > firefox.
> >
> > Had same problem under 5.3. Tracked it down to permissions problems
> > when I gave root a new shell (with umask 077 instead of 022).
> >
> > Run find on /usr and see if there are any files/dirs with perms of
> > 600/700 that look like they should be public. (I believe in my case it
> > was some gconf dirs.)
>
> Nope, 'find /usr -perm 700' and 'find /usr -perm 600' show up nothing
> unusual. Just three files from xdm.
> Still no firefox :(

I'd suggest you to run firefox under gdb or with truss. So far I had quite a
few programs not starting up properly and in many cases it would exit just
after accessing a file and then you know where to look. Or it gets a signal.

Daniela

--
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.