Firefox won't start

Fridtjof Busse fbusse at gmx.de
Sat Apr 9 03:37:17 PDT 2005

* "N.J. Thomas" <njt at ayvali.org>:
> > I just installed FreeBSD 5.4RC, everything works so fine. Just
> > firefox won't work (running xfce), neither the package nor the
> > port. I can only start it as root, under a normal user nothing
> > happens at all. /usr/X11R6/bin/firefox quits after a second and no
> > firefox.
>
> Had same problem under 5.3. Tracked it down to permissions problems
> when I gave root a new shell (with umask 077 instead of 022).
>
> Run find on /usr and see if there are any files/dirs with perms of
> 600/700 that look like they should be public. (I believe in my case it
> was some gconf dirs.)

I'll look into this, thanks.
But how can a package have wrong permissions?
I installed the port (after deleting everything 'pkg_add -r
firefox' installed) after I noticed the package didn't work.

--
Fridtjof Busse
"Laura and I really don't realize how bright our children is sometimes

George W. Bush
April 15, 2000
Comment made on NBC's Meet the Press.