Firefox won't start

N.J. Thomas njt at ayvali.org
Sat Apr 9 02:59:29 PDT 2005

* Fridtjof Busse <fbusse at gmx.de> [2005-04-08 18:32:49 +0200]:
> I just installed FreeBSD 5.4RC, everything works so fine. Just firefox
> won't work (running xfce), neither the package nor the port. I can
> only start it as root, under a normal user nothing happens at all.
> /usr/X11R6/bin/firefox quits after a second and no firefox.

Had same problem under 5.3. Tracked it down to permissions problems when
I gave root a new shell (with umask 077 instead of 022).

Run find on /usr and see if there are any files/dirs with perms of
600/700 that look like they should be public. (I believe in my case it
was some gconf dirs.)

hth,
Thomas

--