cmpq dl380 server. ipmi bmc question

Aaron Sloan tech at adtu.org
Fri Apr 8 12:47:59 PDT 2005

   Doug Poland wrote:

From: "Aaron Sloan" [1]<tech at adtu.org> To: [2]<freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>

Hello guys and gals,

Does system fan control on a Compaq DL380 ,first edition, have any
support?  Sounds like a jet at idle in the machine room.

My DL380 is loud too.  But, if it makes you feel any better, you should
hear my DL580, it's deafening.

Aaron, are you sure that you're supposed to be able to adjust the fan speed
on the 380 from within the OS?

That's the real question

The reason that I ask, is that the 330's and 350's have a temp sensor
that isn't detected until during post, so there's a few seconds on
them that the fans run full on. I'm just curious because if the 380's
are set up the same, you may have a faulty sensor.

My DL380 is very loud too.

   There are no support to fan control on first generation of DL/ML
   Compaq Servers.
   The control is made by software (M$, Linux and others supported SO)
   wich control the fan speed.
   On linux it is implemented as a kernel module and a daemon (no source
   available for both) so i can't solve this.
   Luiz
   I got an anwer from someone in the know.  I think I'm just going to
   find a different solution to the problem.
   HP isn't excited about releasing the source code so I think I'll just
   idle the fan with my own hardware based control.
   Thermostat and a relay.  I haven't looked over the wiring of the fan
   in detail yet but it isn't just 2 or 3 wires.
   Maybe I should steal the guts out of a 330 or 350?  : )
   Thanks,
   Aaron