ps2pdf and ps2epsi behaving strange

Andreas Davour ante at Update.UU.SE
Fri Apr 8 07:55:23 PDT 2005

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> Andreas Davour <ante at Update.UU.SE> writes:
>
>> After using these tools, installing the epsmegre port (and some
>> others) and then removing the latter again, the former have stopped
>> working!
>>
>> bash-2.05b$ ps2pdf elcFront.ps
>> Unknown device: pdfwrite
>> bash-2.05b$ ps2epsi elcFront.ps
>> Unknown device: bit
>> bash-2.05b$
>>
>> How come those devices they ask for have dissapeared, or why have they
>> suddenly developed a need for them?
>>
>> Oddly enough, ps2epsi seems to produce the correct output, regardless
>> of the error - ps2pdf not so.
>>
>> I have reinstalled ghostscript-gnu, but it didn't solve the problem.
>>
>> Are there some port around that messed with them in a way that didn't
>> showed up untill I pkg_delete'd those ports?
>
> Possibly.  That would be a bug in whichever port did that, and would
> be worth fixing, but we'd have to identify the bug first.
>
> I think the file in question would be:
>    $ locate pdfwrite
>    /usr/local/share/ghostscript/7.07/lib/pdfwrite.ps
>    $
> so check to see if you have it.

OK, so it is a file. I wasn't sure, and didn't think about "locate" it!

bash-2.05b$ locate pdfwrite
/usr/local/share/apps/kdeprint/filters/pdfwrite.desktop
/usr/local/share/apps/kdeprint/filters/pdfwrite.xml
/usr/local/share/ghostscript/7.07/lib/pdfwrite.ps
/usr/ports/print/ghostscript-gnu/work/ghostscript-7.07/lib/pdfwrite.ps

Apparantly it's there. Now why it's used I have no idea. Of course, I
now have no idea which ports I have installed, deleted and reinstalled
again )or in what order).

/Andreas