rtc question

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Apr 8 07:33:02 PDT 2005

dick hoogendijk <dick at nagual.st> writes:

> I decided to remove polling and hz=1200 from my kernel. The system was
> slower. Things run pretty smooth now (duron-800/512Mb) with the default
> HZ=100, /but/ :
>
> Now vmware3 is complaining about the rtc : timing error, please
> increase...
> The virtual machine itself runs just fine. If it does no harm I want to
> stick to the HZ=100. What does this rtc message mean and what are the
> consequenses? An unstable system?

Depends what you mean by "unstable".  The symptom I would most expect
would be the virtual machine seeing some variation in real-time clock
rate.  In your position, I would try some intermediate values for HZ,
and see what happens.  In particular, 1000 is the usual recommended
value for faster systems, and 200 or 400 might well be okay.