sending mail between local computers

Xian ian at codepad.net
Thu Apr 7 10:33:46 PDT 2005

On Thursday 07 April 2005 02:19, Chris Hill wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Xian wrote:
> > I have two FreeBSD boxes running sendmail, how would make it so mail
> > can be sent from one box to the other?
>
> Assuming they are both on your local network, as suggested in the
> subject... You shouldn't have to do anything with sendmail. Just
> configure the machines so each hostnames resolves, from the perspective
> of the other machine. You could either create an /etc/hosts file on each
> machine, or run DNS locally. Probably other ways as well. Let's say that
> their hostnames are foo and bar - make it so that from foo you can 'ping
> bar', and vice versa.
>
> Once that works, you ought to be able to log in to foo and send mail via
> your favorite MUA to 'ian at bar' - note, that's just bar, not bar.com or
> anything. Likewise you ought to be able to log in to bar and send mail
> via your favorite MUA to 'ian at foo'. Assuming the user exists on both
> machines, of course.
>
> I'm doing something like this with my internal mail at home, and it
> works fine.
>
> > http://www.clanger9.org.uk/computer/explain.html
>
> Cute.
>
> --
> Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
> **                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]

That's exactly what I'm doing except the hosts are named hercules and pandora.
A little exploring and I find that hercules can't telnet to pandora port 25
and the other way too. This looks like the mail "Sendmail + No Response from
Port 25" I just spotted on the list.

--

/Xian

"Windows has detected that your mouse has moved. Reboot now for changes to
take effect?"
Unknown Author