Debug tags in FreeBSD

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Thu Apr 7 07:12:46 PDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 04:07:46PM +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:
> Dear Sirs.
> Sometimes I watch compiling 'world' or 'kernel' and recognize some '-g'
> options while compiling, especially when doing so with a FreeBSD
> 5.X-STABLE branch.
> Are all pre-releases of FreeBSD due to development and bug tracking
> 'tagged' with debugger options and do they go away with a 'RELEASE' (or
> is this simply a stupid rumor that all STABLE versions are still tagged
> to be debugged)?

The default compile options for FreeBSD (including -STABLE, -CURRENT as
well as releases) do not include any debug flags.

> The reason why I ask is simple. I need my FreeBSD box for scientific
> researches and would like to squeeze out as much power as possible and
> therefor debugging options are meant to slow down code.

Even if you do compile with '-g' it will not slow down the code at all.
The only drawback will be that the extra debug info will take up extra
space on the disk.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson