Serial console connection problem

Jani Luukkanen jani at soundflows.com
Thu Apr 7 01:25:05 PDT 2005

Hi!

I have an issue with serial console connection with two FreeBSD machines
(Both with Intel SE7210TP1-E motherboard, other configured as "host"
from bios and other has ordinary com ports which are connected with
normal tested serial cable).

Host machine is running FreeBSD 5.3 and the "client" one 4.10.

Problem is that when trying to open the serial connection with tip,
error occurs as;

/root at mos root # tip com1
tip: /dev/cuaa0: Device busy
link down
/
/etc/remote file has entry:
/sio0|com1:dv=/dev/cuaa0:br#9600:pa=none:/

/var/run/dmesg.boot:
/sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A, console
/
So I assume that the com port generally should be configured properly?

Main question is that how to get access first to the com1 port generally
and second to get ahold of the remote screen on the other end of the
serial cable?

Appreciate for any help on this,
Cheers,
Jani