unable to mount secondary hard disks now

Shea Frederick justarock at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 12:16:41 PDT 2005

Im running FreeBSD 5.3, its an almost fresh install. Its been running
for about 7 days now. I have an internal IDE drive that the OS runs
from, then I have two external firewire drives (da0, da1) that are
only used as Samba shares.

This morning i found that one of the firewire drives are no longer
mounted (da1), this might have happened when I uninstalled Samba 2.x
and installed 3.x yesterday, then rebooted. but im not sure, because i
didnt check to see if the drive was still mounted after the reboot.

So i figured i would just mount it again (even though da1 in the fstab)....

FileServer# mount /dev/da1s1c /mnt/jabba
mount: /dev/da1s1c on /mnt/jabba: incorrect super block

So now im not realy sure what to do, this drive was working perfectly
before the reboot.

someone told me to run fsck on the drive, but that gives me the following error.

FileServer# fsck /dev/da1s1c
** /dev/da1s1c
Cannot find file system superblock
/dev/da1s1c: NOT LABELED AS A BSD FILE SYSTEM (unused)

here is what fdisk returns...

FileServer# fdisk /dev/da1s1c
******* Working on device /dev/da1s1c *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=9728 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=9728 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 0, size 50000 (24 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 0/ head 0/ sector 1;
        end: cyl 1023/ head 254/ sector 63

Here are the relevant lines from my fstab...
/dev/da0c               /mnt/yoda       ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/da1s1c             /mnt/jabba      ufs     rw              2       2

Thanks in advance
-Shea