Viewing DNS cache entries

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Apr 6 10:53:44 PDT 2005

Martin Petraschek wrote:
[ ... ]
> Thank you, Dan. I was not aware of the fact that FreeBSD does not cache
> DNS entries unless you are running a name server.

At least some versions of the standard C library will cache the last DNS
looked up, and reuse that value if the process asks about the same host again.
  That turns out to be almost free to do, and is still reasonably helpful for
many cases.

However, FreeBSD does not have a global cache the way Windows does, or things
like nscd (Solaris) or lookupd (MacOS X)...

--
-Chuck