suspending login

Ean Kingston ean at hedron.org
Tue Apr 5 15:49:40 PDT 2005

On April 5, 2005 06:42 pm, Bob Ababurko wrote:
> Hello all-
>
> I am trying to figure out how to suspend a login for a user.  Do I have
> to do this with password aging or is there an easier(read brute force)
> way to disallow a user from logging in?

the safest way is to set the shell to /sbin/nologin and the home directory
to /nonexistant in your auth system. The latter is especially needed if you
allow ssh for remote login since the public-key authentication mechanisms
sometimes bypass the normal login restrictions.

--
Ean Kingston

E-Mail: ean AT hedron DOT org