Digital Cameras

Danny Howard dannyman at toldme.com
Tue Apr 5 10:51:48 PDT 2005

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

>You might be better off removing the card and using a card reader. Card
>reader specs are much more generalized and consistent than digital
>camera specs. If the type of card/reader your camera uses is unsupported
>by FreeBSD, at least you have a better chance of getting support for it
>in the future than you would for a specific model of a specific camera.

Hello,

I second this suggestion!  Get a USB media adaptor, plug it in, the
device should pop right up, then you use the mount command and add it
like a disk drive, copy your photos, clean up the disk, unmount, and you
are done!  (I have no idea if this works with memory sticks, but say,
Canon cameras are always putting an MSDOS filesystem on the CF card.)

Another tip: reading the data is only half the battle.  Personally,
managing pictures is one of the three things I do with my Windows
computer.  (The other two are games and Quicken.)  The XP/2k file
browser in "thumbnail" mode is very nice for managing pictures.  And you
can download stuff like Picasa.  (Though, Flickr is a lot like "online
Picasa" but you have to pay a yearly subscription fee, and the photo
manipulation stuff depends on Flash plugin, so, for now, you need
Windows to rotate your uploaded images ....)

Cheers,
-danny

--
http://dannyman.toldme.com/