Promise TX2 Rebuild via atacontrol??

Edgar Martinez emartinez at crockettint.com
Tue Apr 5 08:20:33 PDT 2005

I apologize...I usually am the one complaining to others about
versioning...my bad...

I do not think that the drive is at fault as much as the controller. I have
had to deploy well over one hundred of the exact same configuration, and
historically, it's always been the controller that just drops the drive for
some reason. I usually end up re-mirroring the array on the old "dead" drive
and the system will continue on its merry way (last one is over 1 year old
since last resync)...hence you see why I am curious if I could just use
atacontrol instead of taking the unit offline and spending 45min waiting for
the resync....

######## TECHNOJARGON BELOW ########

FBSD 5.3 STABLE
Promise TX2 Orig BIOS

ad4: 114473MB <WDC WD1200JB-00DUA3/75.13B75> [232581/16/63] at ata2-master
UDMA100

ad6: 114473MB <WDC WD1200JB-00DUA3/75.13B75> [232581/16/63] at ata3-master
UDMA100

ar0: 114440MB <ATA RAID1 array> [14589/255/63] status: READY subdisks:
 disk0 READY on ad4 at ata2-master
 disk1 READY on ad6 at ata3-master

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ar0s1a

ad4: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA=5861119
ad4: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA timed out
ar0: WARNING - mirror lost