HZ=1000 ?

dick hoogendijk dick at nagual.st
Tue Apr 5 00:42:13 PDT 2005

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:37:55 +0200
cpghost at cordula.ws wrote:

> Interestingly, HZ=100 has remained constant for decades (!), despite
> CPUs getting faster all the time. This is an excellent value for most
> typical usage patterns. Cranking it up should only be required for
> special cases. Anyway, the HZ knob is there. Experiment with it until
> you get optimal performance.

Thanks for the explanation. Your last remark puzzles me though.
'experiment with it until you get optimal performance' Yeah sure. I like
to experiment. I don't want the fuzzy "it /feels/ like its
slower/faster" stuff. Way too subjective. Can someone advise me on some
test software to expermient with? I.e.: I set hz=100 / hz=1000 / hz=2000
; with or without polling and I run a testing program that measures the
diffs. Does something like this exists?

--
dick -- http://nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 4.11 ++ FreeBSD 5.3