video resolution with kde

Brian Kinsey brian at thekinseys.net
Mon Apr 4 19:56:32 PDT 2005

I have this partially working now. In my xorg.conf file, I added HorizSync
31.5-82.5 and VertRefresh 50-90 in the "Monitor" section. In the "Screen"
section, I added DefaultDepth 24 and in the "Display" Subsection with Depth
24, I added Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

Now the only resolution that works correctly is 1280x1024. This is much
better than the 640x480 that I had before, but I'd like to use 1024x768.

When I go into Configure Desktop and set the Display Screen Size to anything
other than 1280x1024, my screen gets disoriented. There is a break about
three quarters through the screen and part of the windows display on one
side and the rest displays on the other side of the break.

I can't find the correct VertRefresh and HorizSync settings on Dell's
website, so I've been messing with settings that I found that someone else
used on an older version of FreeBDS with XFree86. Would this problem be
caused by the VertRefresh? Any tips on what I can change?