Sound problem ...

Aaron Siegel bulk_mail at siegel-tech.net
Mon Apr 4 08:09:18 PDT 2005

Chris

The /boot/defaults/loader.conf contains the defaults configurations and
the /boot/loader.conf contains your custom configurations. It is the same a
rc.conf and make.conf.   You should never change any of the files in the
default directory, this is why they are not writeable.  When you perform an
upgrade, the default files are replaced with the new file from the upgrade.
So after an upgrade you will loose all the changes you made in the files
contained in the defaults directories, and will have to reconfigure all those
settings.   The  /etc/rc.conf, /etc/make.conf,  and /boot/loader.conf are not
edited in the upgrade process so you will maintain all your configurations.
You must create the /boot/loader file and add the appropriate lines to that
file.

In summary,  do not make changes to the files in the defaults
directory, /boot/defaults and /etc/defaults.

Aaron Siegel