just got DSL, can't surf or get mail

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Sun Apr 3 21:12:46 PDT 2005

Brian John writes:

> Now, if I change it to this (using my secondary DNS server from my DSL
> modem's 'setup' page):
> search domain.actdsltmp
> nameserver 205.171.2.65
>
> ...everything works.  Is there a way that I could keep this from
> changing every time that I reboot my computer?

One you've changed resolv.conf, it should stay that way permanently
across boots, unless you change it again.

Open a command window in Windows and type "ipconfig -all".  There should
be a list of DNS servers somewhere in the output.  Put that same list in
your resolv.conf file.  Alternately, if your ISP has given you a list of
one or more DNS servers to use, put those in the resolv.conf file
(usually these will both be the same).

--
Anthony