just got DSL, can't surf or get mail

Brian John brianjohn at fusemail.com
Sun Apr 3 19:06:25 PDT 2005

albi at scii.nl wrote:

>On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 15:51:47 -0500 (CDT)
>"Brian John" <brianjohn at fusemail.com> wrote:
>

>>Hello, I just got an xDSL system.  In Windows I can browse the
>>internet and do whatever I want just fine.  However, in FreeBSD the
>>only things that work are my p2p programs.  Azureus and amule work
>>fine, they both connect and download.  However, when I try to use
>>dillo, Firefox or Thunderbird they always timeout when trying to
>>access the net.  Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this?
>>I had cable internet before and it worked fine.  The DSL modem is
>>hooked up to the computer through Ethernet.
>>

>sounds like a DNS-issue, check your /etc/resolv.conf, if your ISP does
>not use DHCP then you have to fill /etc/resolv.conf yourself
>
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/book.html
>section 11.10.2.1 tells you more

Ok, I think you may have pointed me to the source of the problem.  Here
is what my resolv.conf looks like after every time I reboot my compuer:
search domain.actdsltmp
nameserver 192.168.0.1
nameserver 205.171.3.65

Now, if I change it to this (using my secondary DNS server from my DSL
modem's 'setup' page):
search domain.actdsltmp
nameserver 205.171.2.65

...everything works.  Is there a way that I could keep this from
changing every time that I reboot my computer?

Thanks for the help!

/Brian