Managing compact source tree

Iain Dooley mail at iaindooley.com
Sun Apr 3 17:38:02 PDT 2005

hi, i'm just upgrading my thinkpad to 5.3 RELEASE. when i use anything other than 'src-all' to update my sources via CVSUP, i get errors in the buildworld process.

i can comment out games, kerberos and crypto packages and then pass -DNOGAMES, -DNO_KERBEROS AND -DNOCRYPTO to make buildworld, but the HDD on my laptop is very small and i want to have a distro that only takes up a couple of hundred MB. to do this, i want to remove a lot of the applications out of contrib (i essentially just use this laptop as a mobile terminal to ssh into my home computer from my home and university wireless networks).

how can i set up my source tree so that when i cvsup i only get the source i am interested in? also, is it the Makefiles that i have to edit in order to stop make buildworld from trying to build non-existent source?

thanks

iain